Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Writing Sample

Part of my application includes a writing sample. This terrifies and overwhelms me, and completely stresses me out! I have been in contact with the Director of the program, and he has been quite helpful in ensuring me that despite the fact that I have been out of the educational system for many years, my academic performance leaves much to be desired and I haven't written anything not related to investment banking in the last 3 years, I am a positive applicant.

He has let me know that my writing sample can be less institutional and more personal, focusing on "how I am thinking regarding literature". This should relax me some. It doesn't. I originally planned on editing an old paper about The Picture of Dorian Gray. But, once reading it carefully, and realizing I was a complete moron at that point in my college career (probably why I didn't do so well in that class), I figured I should start over.

So, I have re-read (for the third time now) The Picture of Dorian Gray and have begun my writing sample. I decided to structure my sample based on my three readings, and my development as a reader through each stage, and comparing that with Dorian as a character. I read the novel when I was young, and at the beginning Dorian was young and innocent. I read it again when I was selfish and focused on experiences, much like Dorian in the mid part of the novel. Finally, as an adult I am able to read the work, absorb it and recognize the significance of each character, and how my perception has changed as I grow up. This is supposed to be a fantastic example of my ability to write a comparative essay on a work of literature while at the same time exhibit my deepened understanding/personal link to this particular piece. Sounds easy and great, right?

I'm on page 4, I assume it will be in the 6-8 page range when I am finished. It is still a VERY rough draft at this point. I am just assembling it currently, but am already disappointed in my abilities. I haven't written anything in a long time. Hopefully, I get this figured out and in final format in time. The deadline is officially October 15th (next week) but I hope to get everything submitted by the end of this week.

While at work, my lunch break has been consumed with re-reading the novel on my iphone, searching for examples and writing short paragraphs to later insert into the final piece. All this, on top of planning a wedding, and the most stressful work month I have had in a while. *sigh. This better be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...