Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Week 3: Beats


On the Road. We discussed the "hatred" for Dean Moriarity, the mis-treatment of women as they are portrayed in the story and the overwhelming since of the road being for men only.

I disagree.

After class I said, " I think I read a different book." I love Dean's character, the fact that he is wild, and out of control and aimless reminds me of my youth, draws you in to his experience and makes the story enjoyable. I was not struck with any mis-treatment of women, nor was I annoyed by their portrayal. Yes, Dean leaves several women along the way, and yes, they aren't always spoken of in the best manner--  but the story is essentially a story of male friendship. And, when boys are with each other, in their little group, they don't refer to women in the politically correct sense, and who cares? Also, the "road" isn't for men only-- this story just happened to be written by an author relaying his own life with his friends.

And, at the end of class we discussed how our professor would like us to read  the next Kerouac book-- he wants us to READ it. Not, "close read" it. No notes in the margins, no pre-typed paragraphs of witty interesting things to say in class... you know just-- read the damn book.

Finally! That's what I always do. It's about time we cut the bull sh*t. This is a class about the Beat Generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...